Thursday, April 15, 2010

Deliciousness! Vietnamese Salad care of Gwyneth

FINALLY! I have found a new boyfriend!
Its this salad!
Oh my gosh! I finally made it today and wonder where its been all my life! Hello Gorgeous!!!

I saw it on Gwyneths "GOOP" blog and thought "that looks goooood. I do like those flavours, but Bok Choi and Napa Cabbage raw??!! Surely you jest! But, HELLO! It was curling the toes fantastic! I'm gonna make it every stinking day!!! Now, all that chopping did take FOREVER but it was so worth it! You gotta try it!
I thought I would film a video for you, but whateva. Just watch Gweneth below.

Gwyneth Paltrow


Note: in my salad I forgot the Watercress, which I love! Curses! Will definitely add lots of it the next time.
My Version


Ummm sooo goood!

And I don't like carrots so I didn't add them, but on the next go around (tomorrow) I'm going to add some grated beets, for sweetness and color. Also, I omitted the nuts since I'm allergic and I substituted stevia for the Agave Nectar. Still beyond delish!

Your directions and shopping list:

Vietnamese Salad

This healthy, quick salad is crunchy and has lots of refreshing flavors. It’s wonderful on its own and also takes well to simply prepared proteins; grilled fish, shrimp, chicken or tofu are great options.
SERVES: 4
TIME: 15 minutes
  • 4 large bok choy leaves, rough bottoms discarded, stems cut into ¼" bias and leaves shredded
  • 4 big leaves Napa cabbage, shredded
  • 1 bunch watercress (discard thick stems), roughly chopped
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • the leaves from about 8 stems each basil, mint, cilantro, roughly chopped
  • ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced on the bias
  • 1 red Thai chili (or more…or less), thinly sliced
  • ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts, roughly chopped
  • Vietnamese Dressing (see recipe below)
  • grilled fish, shrimp, tuna, chicken, or tofu for serving (optional)
Toss the bok choy, cabbage, watercress, carrot, herbs, cucumber, chili and ¼ cup of the peanuts together with enough dressing to coat. Serve sprinkled with the remaining peanuts and whatever protein you like.

Vietnamese Dressing

A perfect balance of hot, sour, salty and sweet, this dressing is like a flavor knockout—also a great dip for summer rolls.
SERVES: about 4
TIME: 5 minutes
  • ¼ cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • ¼ cup fish sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion or shallot
Mix everything together.


Now go make you some!

If you enjoyed this post show me some love. Comment, Follow and Subscribe, or heck do all three!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Hmm, where was that fabulous post? I wanna read it again.."